Saturday 7 July 2012

Focus Magazine makes a cock up...

Bought a copy of Focus from Tesco's earlier because I was bored and I don't mind reading a bit of pop science now and then.. Anyway trudging through the questions and answer sections and I came across this nugget of misinformation. A question about setting a firework off on the Moon,  I'm sure any GCSE student could answer. But no... An astrophysicist made a boo boo.
Fireworks are mixtures of combustible fuels mixed with an oxidiser, for example black powder, I have made this myself and is a mixture of potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal. I mean who hasn't it's so easy and it is still the fuel of choice for small model rocket and firework motors. The potassium nitrate is the oxidiser, while the charcoal is the fuel, the sulphur just helps the reaction along. But this mixture will burn in a vacuum, on the Moon, in my hand, under my backside, in a rocket motor, in a cannon, under water, (providing the powder doesn't get wet)... 
So much for 'The Experts' who answer questions...

No comments:

Post a Comment